Comments

Neil Briscoe Neil Briscoe 1978 Fiat X1/9 Lido 2 days ago

I had an X1/9

What great memories were brought back by Emma Woodcock’s feature on the Fiat X1/9 Lido (Pioneer in Miniature) I bought the same model new in 1998, part-exchanging a year-old rubber-bumper MGB that was already showing signs of corrosion. The Fiat was everything the road testers of the time admired, it was like a mini Ferrari with a targa top and handling no reasonably priced British sports car could live with. My first road trip was to the nearby North York Moors on the B1257, hoping to impress my new girlfriend. On this road we were spotted by an RAF jet fighter that seemed to continuously use us as target practice but the little Fiat’s handling on that day must have surely impressed the pilot because he tipped his wings as he left, probably to RAF Leeming. I hope owner Neal Gibbons has as much fun in his car as we did in ours. My girlfriend became my partner of 38 years and I still have the original Lido brochure, Carello covers and a Lido luggage bag if Neal is interested.

Joe Unique 1974 BMW 2002 Turbo E20 hides 252bhp F20C 2.0-litre Honda power! 4 days ago

Ruined. Haha.

3k miles in the last 30 days, and quicker, better mpg and more reliable than any BMW option.

youtu.be/HN2F-swxvPw

Goodwood next week, check out for updates www.instagram.com/madda_joe

Ugur 360bhp M57 engined BMW 335d E90 5 days ago

Good job my friend… did you change engine wiring harness loom for 535d engine and what did you do about electrical installation

NoM274W206 2022 Mercedes-Benz C300 e AMG Line W206 C-Class PHEV 7 days ago

lol there is no M274 — let alone M264 — in the W206. M254 (two-five-four) only.

Pure 2010 BMW 335i Manual E90 8 days ago

don’t get the 335i heavier and less balanced the

330i or 328i. Get 6 speed rear drive N52 .

335i will overrun the breaks from point to point

N52 more balance near 50/50 wear 335i has 52/48

Approx. Get slick top .

Les weight more fun. Brilliant chassis

originals owner of 2008 summer driven

Drove like beautifully in winters

Left foot break etc… learn to drive first and enjoy balance and precise steering hydraulic steering

never changed my water pump 14 years ever

230k klm. Don’t believe the non owners

Who write articles

One owner

Garaged

Driven

Hard

Votren De Este Votren De Este 1987 Daimler-badged XJ40 3.6 11 days ago

Entry level

Firstly, I want to welcome in the new editor. It’s a shame to see Paul Walton leave, but it seems he’ll still be writing for the magazine and fresh faces are always a good thing. I was moved to write by Sam Skelton’s piece about the 2.9-litre XJ40. This is a car that so many people over the years have told me was utter rubbish and that there was no point in owning such a slow and thirsty car. But I bought my first one in 2005 – I was still a university student, which shows how cheap they once were. And I didn’t keep it for long, because it failed the MoT on rust in 2007. I’ve had other Jaguars since, and nowadays I have an X350 2.7 diesel. But I’d like to find another good 2.9 if I can find one to relive the days that got me into Jaguars. Ideally it’d be Signal Red like mine was, a manual, and have a cloth interior. My car had a digital dashboard, so I’d like that if I could. Does anyone know of a car like this for sale anywhere? Thank you to Jaguar World for rekindling an old spark with your article.

Keith Helfet Keith Helfet 2004 Jaguar XKR 4.2 X100 vs. 2002 Chevrolet Corvette C5 12 days ago

US Jaguars

2004 Jaguar XKR 4.2 X100 vs. 2002 Chevrolet Corvette C5

According to Google Jaguar sales continue to historically be within a couple of thousand cars year over year between the US and UK and even though it’s a British marque I think your mag would do well to devote a section every issue or possibly one or two complete issues a year to what’s going on in the US market and possibly special adverts for parts and services in the colonies. Currently I don’t see one single service or parts provider based here less SNG Barrett’s US outlet. After all it does say Jaguar World.

Chris Rees Chris Rees 1987 Porsche 944S vs. 1988 Jaguar XJ-S 3.6 15 days ago

Porsche memories

Several fond memories were brought back when I ready our comparison feature between the Jaguar XJ-S and the Porsche 944 – because as a company director in the late 1980s and early 1990s I actually owned and ran examples of both. My 944 was an early 2.5, and my XJS was a late Celebration convertible, and at the time the two cars seemed so very different in focus. I had a BMW 635 CSi E24 between them, and at the time I thought that it did a good job of bridging the two:more sporty than my Jag and yet more of a grand tourer than the Porker. Do I agree that the Jag’s a better car? 35 year old me with his used 944 in 1988 wouldn’t have thought so, but another decade of life certainly meant that the XJS made more sense in middle age. Nowadays I drive an F-PACE, but part of me wishes I still had a sporty car sitting outside.

George Unique 1974 BMW 2002 Turbo E20 hides 252bhp F20C 2.0-litre Honda power! 18 days ago

I have a F22C in my BMW 2002. It's not «plain wrong» if your M10 is dead. Also, the «amazing BMW engines» are all bigger and heavier. Finally, torque is low — but so is weight — so low end is fine. Cost is actually the only downside. K-swapping is probably the better choice.

Elizabeth de Latour Elizabeth de Latour Modified classic 1973 BMW 2002 E10 27 days ago

2002 Project I really enjoyed the feature on the 2002. I have followed the project in BMW Car from the start and eagerly anticipated each new instalment to see how it was going to develop. So often these days modified classic cars seem to lack a plan or any kind of thought in their execution, things get thrown together without consideration for the final look and feel, or how the thing will drive. Rob Richardson’s car seems to have been well thought through and exceptionally well engineered – well done Rob! I think Rob’s car might well be one of the best ‘02s in the country, if not the world, and I’m looking forward to seeing where the project goes next.

Mark Memories of Mimmo - Federico Formenti of Touring 28 days ago

A fantastic article, it has increased my appreciation of Formenti's sadly overlooked talent.

Votren De Este Votren De Este 25 Years Porsche 911 996 1 month ago

Porsche 996 frailties

You didn’t mention the Porsche 996 cylinder bore scoring (Porsche 996 at 25 years), another known issue for the 996 and first generation 997. It’s serious, costly and painful. Early 996s (3.4s) had gearbox issues and 996s tend to eat radiators too.

I own a 993 C2 manual coupé and so I was surprised that Sam Dawson quotes the 996 as ‘better built than their predecessors’. I think he’s seeing that from only one perspective, the body perhaps? Granted that key areas of an Eighties 911 — kidney bowls, sills, B-pillars – would rust from the inside out but I reckon the aircooled engines were more robust.

If I were looking at the Porsche 996 era, it would be a 986 Boxster because it’s lighter and more fun to drive in the 3.2 form, though they do suffer the same type of issues as the 996.

Glen Waddington Glen Waddington 1982 Jaguar XJ-S 5.4 Litre V12 Lynx Eventer Shooting Brake 1 month ago

The first Lynx Eventer

Reading about the Lynx Eventer brought back many memories, but I thought Penelope Keith borrowed the Eventer for a very late episode of To the Manor Born, and then the awful Sweet Sixteen.

Another thing I want to point out is that the name Lynx was chosen by me at age 17 in 1966 when trying to get a discount at the local BMC agent for spare parts – the storeman wanted to know the name of the company I worked for and because I owned a 1934 Riley Lynx, I thought Lynx Engineering would do. Jaguars did not appear for a number of years after, because I started out by restoring (on my own) vintage Bentleys and other cars, until a local owner asked me to restore a Jaguar C-type; that is the point I left a job at Weslake & Co and set out on my own. Later, Chris Keith-Lucas joined as an employee and I subsequently realised he was a major asset to the business. We got on well, so I offered him a partnership, which he paid for by selling his dreadful Hyper Lea Francis, which threw oil everywhere whenever it was run. Finally, the picture of the ‘French Chateaux’ is actually our UK family home and has been for 45 years.

Emma Woodcock Emma Woodcock 1982 Jaguar XJ-S 5.4 Litre V12 Lynx Eventer Shooting Brake 1 month ago

Geldof in a Ferrari

Wonderful article on Lynx Eventer and stories about the gifted owner Rupert Hine. Especially fun comments were from Sir Bob Geldof, including saying he was never interested in cars. A decade or two ago I used to live in Chelsea and often drove down the M4 on Friday evenings to spend the weekend in the country. More than once I saw Sir Bob in a Ferrari 308 or possibly a 328. It looked clean to me and he had a grin on his face!

Votren De Este Votren De Este New 2024 Porsche 911 ST 992.2 spied at the ‘Ring 1 month ago

Apologies if our editorial led you to believe Porsche will create a Turbo S Targa, because this is not the case. Porsche has only used the Targa body style on its Turbo for the late 930 generation, and since the 997.2 era, has offered either Coupe or Cabriolet body styles for its Turbo S offering. It is highly unlikely Porsche will again turn to the Targa body style for its Turbo engine, and DrivesToday knows of no plans to introduce this for the upcoming 992.2 generation.

Adam Towler Adam Towler New 2024 Porsche 911 ST 992.2 spied at the ‘Ring 1 month ago

Porsche plans to revive the Turbo S Targa. My question is: will this materialise from Porsche? It would be nice if it will also have an option of a manual transmission.

Belliard Jean Claude 2023 Isuzu D-Max 3.0 Double Cab 4x4 V-Cross Automatic 1 month ago

Will that 3.0 DMax be avalaible in Madagascar soon ?

Peter Dron Roger Bell 1937-2022 1 month ago

Hello. Is there anyone thre?

Richard An anatomy of the Bentley Continental R and T 1 month ago

This is a really good in-depth review of the Continental R. As an owner of a 1998 model R I have to say what a wonderful machine. Somehow the designers have managed to pull off a look which harks back to the past but continues to appear modern as it ages.

I don't think you can call the R majestic, magical or even sporty but it does something many cars cannot achieve, and that's bucket loads of individuality. Like it or not people who have never seen one before have a sense of respect. As with many low production hand crafted vehicles the R shows its beauty and its quirkiness in equal proportions. In relative terms it's reasonably modern but you always sense that those who built it had skills which were handed down through generations.

Today R's can be bought for a relatively low price, in fact much lower than many of yesterday fast fords. Those vehicles have their place in the hearts of many but fall seriously short of the Bentley's heritage and the sense of pride in its manufacture.

These cars shouldn't become part of someone's collection, they should be out on the road being used. It's the best way to fully enjoy them.

Paul Walton Paul Walton 2023 Jaguar F-PACE SVR Edition 1988 1 month ago

’88 desperation Whilst I must admit the recently announced F-PACE SVR Edition 1988 looks tremendous, I can’t help thinking Jaguar’s marketing people are going to run out of obscure anniversaries fairly soon. Personally I fancy a Cannonball edition to commemorate the 1979 coast-tocoast run in an XJ-S. Don’t laugh, it could happen.

Drives TODAY use cookie